Friday, January 23, 2009

A New President. Part II.

Ok, continuing on from my last post...

Crowds and arrivals.

The crowd at the inauguration was crazy. In fact, although it created problems, it was also probably the part I liked most. Hearing that many people cheer is just incredible. I was a bit perturbed at some reactions though, such as the crowd's booing when George W. Bush was announced. Seriously people. I know pretty much no one likes the job he has done, but have some respect. Come on. After booing, some began singing, "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye." Not classy. Get a grip. It bothered me. Joy erupted moments after however, as Biden walked onto the stage following Bush. Finally, Obama's arrival was announced and I felt the earth move under my feet as millions erupted in laud.

Onto the taking of the oath.

Thanks to annoying and really loud police sirens, I did not get to hear much of Obama's actual swearing in. Which apparently he had to do-over anyway. So I guess I didn't miss much. Plus, the cheers following the completion of the oath made up for anything I may have missed. As soon as Obama was sworn in, 21 gun shots were fired - as the tradition goes. Many of us up front near the gunman kind of forgot about this tradition.

A simple equation for our feelings during this brief moment of forgetfulness:
A country under the threat of terrorism + the biggest event of the nation + unexpected gunshots = many people slightly scared. Including me.

After like, the fifth shot though everyone relaxed. We remembered the tradition and figured that if it were a terrorist shooting those guns, security would have shot them dead by at least the third shot. Comfort.

Speaking of security it was a bit ridiculous but that's to be expected. I was glad they were there. The coolest things I saw at the ceremony were Obama's car driving into the Capitol and George Bush's plane leaving. We were in very close proximity to both events.

My final thoughts:).

So yeah, essentially, being at the Inauguration was awesome. Spirits were high, and the vibe was exhilarating, for the most part. There was one vibe running through the air, however, that kind of weirded me out. This was the vibe of Obama worship. It seemed like some people, actually worship Obama; like he had become this idol, this savior to them. I guess people are just looking to worship something huh. I thought Obama subtly spoke to that worship-vibe in his speech - inferring that it wasn't him that was going to save the world. It was up to all of us working together.

Obama is just a man. He is definitely, definitely not divine. I really, really hope most people realize his fallible humanity. I think they do. President Obama is going to screw up. If we don't realize that, we will be disappointed when it happens. In the meantime, he has done a great job inspiring people to actually take part in the improvement of their country. Creating a "more perfect union," if you will :).

When the Obama phenomenon has worn off, and it will, I hope his message leaves this nation with a lasting understanding. An understanding that what we do makes a difference and of the power of hope. For while Obama is far from divine, the hope he speaks about is divine. Through hope, people can experience a leader far greater than Obama. They can experience The Leader who rules the world, never fails and has a kingdom that never ends.

No comments: