Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Of Balls

I am talking about Inaugural Balls here folks. Get your mind into high culture. Last week at this time I was heading to an Inaugural Ball, one of two I would be trying to make that night. Our first stop was to be the Neighborhood Ball; the most-coveted ball tickets of the inauguaral celebration. Unfortunately, due to a set of circumstances beyond our control, we were late and missed most of it. The circumstances beyond our control included a van that took a long time to get us there because it had to pick up a few "important" people (i.e., the President of the Washington Bar (Law) Association, a couple other high-powered attorneys and a writer for Glamour Magazine) before dropping us off. I am not sure how I got myself in this van. Actually, I do, Sarah's connections got us a ride downtown.

Anyway, but once we got there it was sweet. Besides the high-priced drinks, it was the coolest event I've ever been to; equipped with acrobats, Stevie Wonder, glitter and all. The Neighborhood Ball ended early though; at 10:30. At that point, we headed to our "late-night" destination: The Youth Ball.

Let me tell you, that was a stressful experience. The last hour or so ended up being fun. Even though we missed Obama and the performers, which consequently made it like a glorified prom. With beer. I liked prom though, so it was a good time. Just not super awesome like the first one. See, they wouldn't let us in at first because they said it was overcrowded. Everyone had bought tickets though, so we were not happy. Fortunately, we got in eventually, but it took aggression and perseverance on our parts.

I'm pretty beat. I have been thrust head-first into the school year. So I'm going to stop writing about balls right now, and start digging into my globalization theories reading. What a pleasant alternative.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I have some pretty awesome pictures of you after this ball ;) ;)

Colleen said...

Noooooooo. hahaha. OK, I have to say. The ones of Sarah are way, way worse. haha. I laughed forever looking at them.